Type of the workshop: National Workshop
The workshop in brief:
The workshop focussed on explaining the technical as well as the logistic side of this newly emerging technology and the challenges it is facing in the Kurdistan region as well as Iraq as a whole.
Objectives of the workshop:
- Enable the audience to have a clear overview of the historical advances in the Mobile Communication systems and its trend from Analogue to 2G, 3G, and then to 4G LTE.
- Enable the participants to realize the big challenges facing mobile communication in terms of the ever increasing demand for big data and video calls, which requires wide bandwidth which is driving the 4G to its ultimate limits.
- Enables the participants to understand the necessity for 5G, as many activities in our daily life will be crippled without it on personal; corporate; as well as state departmental levels.
- Enable the participants to be aware of the pros and cons of the 5G in scientific terms rather than depending on baseless rumors and social media gossips.
What is 5G?
The first four generations of the internet network, each, provided a new level of connectivity. While 3G and 4G focused on improving mobile data, 5G continues this trend and expands its use for mobile broadband access. 5G will work alongside 4G, eventually, gradually replacing it entirely.
Obviously, 5G is ushering in new technology advancement opportunities and innovation. Developing technologies, such as; Internet of Things (IoT) is expected to thrive with 5G.
Benefits of 5G LTE
- Upgrading to a massive Internet of Things (IoT).
- Smart cities and Industry 4.0.
- 5G is faster than 4G.
- 5G is more responsive than 4G.
- 5G uses less power than 4G.
- 5G gives secure, fast service more reliably than 4G.
- 5G can carry more devices than 4G.
- 5G is hard to install and deploy.
- 5G Security Concerns.
- Decentralized security.
Date and time: Feburary 25, 2021. 10:30-11:15.
Place: Tishk International University.
Presenters names and affiliations:
- Dr Salar Kheder and Dr Jamil A. Hussein. Affiliation: Technical College of Engineering,Erbil Polytechnic University (EPU), Erbil, North Iraq.
Outcome of the workshop:
- Shed a good deal of information about the subject
- Revealed the importance of this technology for good internet communication; in terms of speed and reliability and mass data transfer.