Faculty: TIU – Research Center
Department: TIU – Research Center
The workshop in brief:
Molecular symmetry: chiral and achiral molecules. Stereocentres and chiral centres: definition; CIP system and stereodescriptors. Molecules having more than one stereocentre; mesocompounds. Stereogenic axes and planes; helicenes. Examples and stereodescriptors.
Intramolecular symmetry relationships: homotopic, enantiotopic and diastereotopic ligands and faces. Examples and stereodescriptors. Stereoselective and stereospecific syntheses (brief notes). Molecular symmetry and NMR spectroscopy.
Conformers and statistical molecular symmetry. The energy barrier to conformer interconversion. Atropisomers.- –
Relative and absolute configuration. Specific optical rotation and physical principles. Racemic mixtures. Classical and enzymatic resolutions of racemic mixtures.
Number of participants: 45 participants
Date and time: October 13-17, 2019
Place: TIU, Education Building, Conference Hall 302
- Session 01: Stereochemistry (History, Definition).
- Session 02: Stereochemistry (Importance of Stereochemistry in chemistry, biology, and pharmacy).
- Session 03: Molecular Symmetry.
- Session 04: Intramolecular Symmetry Relationships.
- Session 05: Conformers and statistical molecular symmetry.
- Session 06: Relative and Absolute configuration.
- Session 07: Determination methods of Relative and Absolute configuration.
- Session 08: Dynamic NMR spectroscopy and conformational equilibria.
Presenters names and affiliations:
- Prof. Dr. Giovanni Vidari.
- Prof. Dr. Faiq H.S. Hussain.
Outcomes of The Importance of Stereochemistry in Science:
- The academic staff from different universities of Kurdistan (TIU, Salahaddin, Hawler Medical University, Garmian, Hawler polytechnic, and Koya) attended the workshop and benefitted from the topics covered in the workshop.
- Prof. Giovanni met a number of postgraduate students (Ph.D. and M.Sc.) who attended the workshop in order to discuss and solve the problems which they faced in their projects.
- The participants working in the field formed a number of small groups for future joint projects and planned to collaborate with each other.
- Prof. Giovanni advised how to collaborate with the researchers from the Italian universities.