Faculty: Faculty of Engineering
Department: Architecture Engineering
Type of the workshop: International workshop
The workshop in brief:
The workshop conducted on “The Role of Academia in Appraising Architects’ Work in Community”, to emphasize and elaborate the role of Academia in the valuation of architects’ work. The workshop tried to point out the potential possibilities of how-to academia support the role of architects in community.
Participants: There were 30+ participants.
Date and time: 07.04.2022, time 10:00-16:00
Place: TIU, Sulaymaniyah campus, Conference Hall + Online Zoom meeting
- Market-based learning
- Architects’ drawings
- The role of academia in recognition of architecture /architects
- A Chronological Narrative of Appraising the Role and Work of Architect in Society
Presenters names and affiliations:
- Mustafa Muhlis ,TIshk International Univesity-Sulaimani
- Prof. Dr. Seyit Ermiyagil ,Eastern Mediterranean University-Cyprus
- Dr. Yonca Hurol, Eastern Mediterranean University-Cyprus
- Sardar Sulaiman Shareef ,Tishk International University
Outcome of the workshop:
The outcome of the workshop was that academia could influence the stance of architects in several ways, including; offering an education that is fulfilling the market demands and making architects not just find suitable jobs but lead the market. Another point is ethics that should be taught to the students of architecture to keep the high role they expected to have, starting from the ethics in their drawings until professional, ethical values. Another point is the subject of accreditations; when a university takes an accreditation, the students take it and so on. Furthermore, going back to the past roles of architects, there is always a chance for academia to rebound and check what is missing from today’s education.